Saturday, November 27, 2010

Chestnuts on an Open Fire....

.....well, not so much. I love decorating for the Holidays, Christmas just happens to be my favorite. Not because of toys, food, or shopping. Mostly because, I remember being little and having every one of my family members in one house, usually Grandmas.

It was always nutty (hence the chestnuts), but there was NEVER a dull moment. On any given Christmas get together there would be 23, or more, people together in one place. I remember playing games with my cousins, watching Grandma cook (like a pro) for a small army, and Grandpa sleeping away in the recliner. We never heard a peep from Grandpa, unless one of us did something that was beyond Grandma's stern words. All of my aunts would be chatting around the house, and my uncles watching football. I can hear the laughter emanating from all over the house, and smell; what was always the best food I had ever tasted.

I miss those Holidays. I miss my large family, and the wonderful sounds. We don't make it up home very often, and when we are there it's always a rush. Trying to make sure we get everyone squeezed in to such a small amount of time.

This year we won't be going home. We have decorated, and plan to spend our Christmas here. Jeff is having surgery next week, and this doesn't allow for any traveling. I'm glad that we won't have to rush this year, and Christopher can spend Christmas in bed. He will have his Grandma, and Pawpaw (who just got home from Afghanistan) to play and start their own memories. Meanwhile, I will be remembering my own.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What words..